- Supports healthy cholesterol levels
- 100% natural, food-derived ingredients
- Plant sterols, FDA approved for lowering cholesterol levels*
- Whole food extracts, shown in scientific studies to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure, and promote blood vessel health: Premium grade pomegranate extract, Chokeberry fruit extract, Green tea extract
- Gluten free
- No side effects or adverse reactions
- No known contraindications
- Provides support for reducing atherosclerosis and blood pressure*
- Support for lowering LDL cholesterol
For those who still have LDL cholesterol above 100 mg/dl after dietary intervention, Dr. Fuhrman designed this mixture of high quality, cholesterol-lowering and cardiac protective compounds - plant sterols and pomegranate. No other product on the market offers this combination of quality ingredients. LDL Protect is an all natural formula and a healthy choice.
Plant sterols have long been recognized, and are FDA approved, for their capacity to reduce LDL cholesterol. The potent antioxidant compounds contained in both pomegranate and green tea have been shown in medical studies to reverse atherosclerosis, and lower cholesterol and blood pressure. All pomegranate extracts are not equal. Some cheaper grades are not certified to contain high levels of active polyphenols; we utilize the best. Chokeberry fruit has been found to benefit blood vessel health and reduce cholesterol, blood pressure, and triglycerides.
About Plant Sterols
Plant sterols (also known as phytosterols) naturally occur in a range of plant sources such as vegetable oils, nuts, grains, and seeds. They function as cholesterol-lowering agents in blood by blocking the absorption of cholesterol from food during digestion and by blocking the re-absorption of cholesterol manufactured by the liver. There is a significant amount of evidence - more than 40 human studies - supporting the LDL-lowering properties of phytosterol supplements, collectively showing an approximate decrease of up to 15% in LDL levels. No negative health effects were reported in these studies.2 In addition to their cholesterol-lowering properties, plant sterols possess anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-atherogenic, and anti-oxidative activities.3
Pomegranate juice is a rich source of phytochemical compounds shown to benefit the heart and blood vessels. It not only lowers cholesterol, but lowers blood pressure and increases the speed at which heart blockages (atherosclerosis) melt away. LDL Protect contains a pomegranate extract with the full array of polyphenols present in the fruits seeds, husk and juice and is particularly rich in punicalagins. Punicalagins are the major component responsible for pomegranates antioxidant and health benefits.
These compounds offer protection against heart disease. They have been shown to reduce platelet aggregation and naturally lower blood pressure, factors that prevent both heart attacks and strokes.7
Chokeberry is the dark, pea-sized fruit of a shrub native to the Northeastern and Great Lakes regions of the U.S.8 Chokeberry fruit, similar to pomegranate, has cardioprotective effects in addition to cholesterol-lowering: in hypercholesterolemic individuals, chokeberry juice enhanced endothelial function in addition to reducing total and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.9
Additionally, chokeberry is a rich source of polyphenol antioxidant molecules, and supplementation with chokeberry extract has been shown to reduce blood markers of oxidative stress.10 Chokeberry also reduces platelet aggregation.11
In human studies, green tea extract reduced total and LDL cholesterol as well as markers of oxidative stress and inflammation.14 Green tea extract may provide additional cardiovascular benefit by improving endothelial function, allowing for more efficient dilation of blood vessels.15 EGCG supplementation has also been shown to downregulate adhesion molecules on endothelial cells that contribute to atherosclerotic plaque formation and reduce plaque formation in animal models of atherosclerosis.13
1. Hippisley-Cox J, Coupland C. Unintended effects of statins in men and women in England and Wales: population based cohort study using the QResearch database. BMJ 2010 May 20;340:c2197
2. Weingartner O, Bohm M, Laufs U. Controversial role of plant sterol esters in the management of hypercholesterolaemia. Eur Heart J. 2009 Feb;30(4):404-9. Epub 2009 Jan 21.
3. Berger Alvin, Jones Peter,Abumweis, Suhad, Plant sterols: factores affecting their efficacy and safety as functional ingredients. Lipids in Health and Disease 2004 3:5 http://www.lipidworld.com/content/3/1/5.
4. Woyengo TA, Ramprasath VR, Jones PJ. Anticancer effects of phytosterols. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jul;63(7):813-20. Mendilaharsu M, De Stefani E, Deneo-Pellegrini H et al. Phytosterols and risk of lung cancer: a case study in Uruguay. Lung Cancer 1998; 21:37-45 Ronico A, De Stefani E, Baffetta P et al. Vegetables, fruits and related nutrients and risk of breast cancer: a case control study in Uruguay. Nutr Canc 1999; 35:111-19De Stafani E, Brennan P, Boffeta P et al. Vegetables, fruits, related dietary antioxidants and the risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus: a case control study in Uruguay. Nutr Canc 2000; 38: 23-29 De Stanfani E, Baffetta P, Ronco AL et al. Plant Sterols and risk of stomach cancer: a case study in Uruguay. Nutr Canc 2000; 37:140-144
5. Klippel kf, Hiltl DM, Schipp B. A multicentric, placebo-controlled double blind clinical trial of beta-sitosterol (phytosterol) for the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia. Brit J Urol 1996; 80;427-432.
6. Berges RR, Kassen A, Senge T. Treatment of Symtomatic benign prostate hyperplasia with beta-sitosterol: an 18th month follow up. BJU Int 2000; 7:842-6
7. Aviram M, Dornfield L, Rosenblat M, et al. Pomegrantate juice consumption reduces oxidative stress, atherogenic modifications to LDL, and platelet aggregation: studies in humans and in atherosclerotic apolipoprotein E-deficient mice. Am J Clin Nutr 2000;71(5);1062-76 Aviram M, Dornfeld L. Pomegranate juice consumption inhibits serum angiotensin converting enzyme activity and reduces systolic blood pressure. Atherosclerosis. 2001 Sep;158(1):195-8.
8. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Natural Resources Conservation Service. Plant Guide. http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_arme6.pdf
9. Poreba R, Skoczynska A, Gac P, et al. Drinking of chokeberry juice from the ecological farm Dzieciolowo and distensibility of brachial artery in men with mild hypercholesterolemia. Ann Agric Environ Med 2009, 16, 305-308
10. Broncel M, Kozirog M, Duchnowicz P, et al. Aronia melanocarpa extract reduces blood pressure, serum endothelin, lipid, and oxidative stress marker levels in patients with metabolic syndrome. Med Sci Monit. 2010 Jan;16(1):CR28-34.
11. Ryszawa N, Kawczynska-Drozdz A, Pryjma J, et al. Effects of novel plant antioxidants on platelet superoxide production and aggregation in atherosclerosis. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006 Dec;57(4):611-26.
12. Naito Y, Yoshikawa T. Green tea and heart health. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2009 Nov;54(5):385-90. Clement Y. Can green tea do that? A literature review of the clinical evidence. Prev Med. 2009 Aug-Sep;49(2-3):83-7. Wolfram S. Effects of green tea and EGCG on cardiovascular and metabolic health. J Am Coll Nutr. 2007 Aug;26(4):373S-388S. Cabrera C, Artacho R, Gimenez R. Beneficial effects of green tea--a review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2006 Apr;25(2):79-99.
13. Tinahones FJ, Rubio MA, Garrido-Sanchez L, et al. Green tea reduces LDL oxidability and improves vascular function. J Am Coll Nutr. 2008 Apr;27(2):209-13.
14. Nantz MP, Rowe CA, Bukowski JF, Percival SS. Standardized capsule of Camellia sinensis lowers cardiovascular risk factors in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Nutrition. 2009 Feb;25(2):147-54.
15. Alexopoulos N, Vlachopoulos C, Aznaouridis K, et al. The acute effect of green tea consumption on endothelial function in healthy individuals. Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2008 Jun;15(3):300-5.
4 tablets contain:
Chokeberry fruit standardized extract 240mg
Green tea leaf standardized extract 450mg
---(providing 200mg EGCG)
Plant sterols (90%) 1,200mg
Pomegranate fruit extract (40% punicosides) 100mg
Other Ingredients: dicalcium phosphate, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, vegetable stearic acid, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica, and pharmaceutical glaze. Contains corn or corn derivatives.
Adults: Take 4 tablets daily. Best taken with food.
If you are pregnant or nursing, please consult your healthcare professional before using this product. Keep out of the reach of children.
|gentle-care-formula-120||Gentle Care Formula Vegan, 120 Capsules, Dr. Fuhrmans||$39.99|
|womens-daily-formula-d3-120||Womens Daily Formula with D3, 120 Capsules, Dr. Fuhrmans||$39.99|
|pixie-vites-60||Pixie Vites Childrens Multivitamin Wild Berry Blast, 10.5 Oz, Dr. Fuhrmans||$33.99|
|immunotect-120||Immunotect Immune Support, 120 Capsules, Dr. Fuhrmans||$49.99|
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.